It might sound like a cliche, says Monhla Hlahla, but the heart of leadership is seeing the best in others and bringing them alongside you. In this video, Monhla Hlahla, asserts successful leadership is based on understanding people – what inspires them, motivates them, and is best about them.
After viewing the video, answer a “Questions to Ask” and select an “Ideas for Action” to incorporate into your routine this week.
Ideas for Action
- Take ten minutes each day to spend time just getting to know your employees. Don’t pry, but be willing to listen to what is going on in their lives beyond work.
- Make sure you know what each of your employees is best at, both at work and in private so that you can utilize those talents in the optimal way.
- Analyze your team’s abilities. Does each person have a unique job? Are there redundancies that are causing confusion or delays in work?
- Invite team members to lead with you on certain projects. Observe them and help them when needed.
Questions to Ask
- How can you encourage employees to model leadership skills at work?
- Why is knowing your staff’s personal situations a help to being a good leader?
- What do you do when you have a difficult time finding the best in a person?
- How can you get to know your employees intimately without crossing boundaries?